Using our mobile app? Be sure to check for any new app updates to receive any enhancements.

Get Healthy!

Beware of Hand Sanitizers Containing Methanol
  • Steven Reinberg
  • Posted August 7, 2020

Beware of Hand Sanitizers Containing Methanol

The American Association of Poison Control Centers has issued a warning on hand sanitizers that contain methanol (methyl alcohol).

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has already warned that some hand sanitizers are contaminated with methanol.

Methanol is very toxic and can make you "blind drunk" because of its ability to damage the optic nerve, poison experts say.

Depending on the concentration of methanol and the amount swallowed, patients can experience nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Other symptoms can include headache, dizziness, drowsiness and slurred speech, the poison control center said in a news release.

These contaminated products have various concentrations of methanol, which means that some may be very toxic and cause coma, respiratory depression, seizures, blindness and death.

For questions, or if you have an adverse reaction to hand sanitizer containing methanol, contact your poison control center.

Here are some ways to be prepared and get confidential and expert help:

  • Text POISON to 797979.
  • Save the Poison Help Hotline number into your cellphone (1-800-222-1222).
  • Display the Poison Help Hotline contact number in your home.

More information

For more on methanol, head to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

SOURCE: American Association of Poison Control Centers, news release, July 23, 2020
Health News is provided as a service to The Medicine Shoppe | Shawneetown site users by HealthDay. The Medicine Shoppe | Shawneetown nor its employees, agents, or contractors, review, control, or take responsibility for the content of these articles. Please seek medical advice directly from your pharmacist or physician.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay All Rights Reserved.